Sunday, March 8, 2015

selective

after 7 months. it may have  finally occurred to me that village life is perfect for me. imagine: a 12 hour bus ride (which may or may not be air conditioned), and to descend that said bus only be met by rude taxi and moto drivers and the occasional harassing male whose aggressive advances toward you reemerges your previous daydream of being on a beach in Thailand or even perhaps that one time you broke your foot while zip lining. whatever area of my brain i resort to daydream to escape these situations is clearly working. every time i return to village, that area is not used frequently.

Its normal. whenever anyone feels that they are in discomfort its up to the brain to make the best out of the situation. my own just selects certain memories to erase (nearly). i'm ashamed to admit my only comfort is to know that im not the only volunteer to put up with this.

not every passerby is rude. Im thankful for mamas who want to share their 'pain chaud' with me even though i cannot eat while traveling bc of fear of travel diarrhea (real).

im looking forward to being back in village which mean more local language learning which just really means having coherent conversations with the bi-sap lady. if i continue having conversations outside the normal greeting of "how are you?", "good job", "good sitting" ," how are your children?", "I am fine" and so on....and my potential triumph of convincing her to give me free bi-sap due to the fact most of her income in the past has come from me.

yes, there is an incentive, now i just have to survive beninese transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment